The Guts of a Decent Slogan
Note: this post originally appeared on ‘Douglas to Dancing’, a blog I maintained from 2007-9 on the ACT New Zealand political party. The blog was an extension of the thesis I wrote about the Act Party in 2007, From Douglas to Dancing: explaining the lack of success of ACT New Zealand and evaluating its future prospects (PDF).
TV3 has run a slogan competition via its election website. I’ve collated the ACT-related ones and grouped them into and anti- and pro-ACT categories (in some cases this is hard to tell!). The anti ones are first because there are more of them and they’re much funnier.
- Personal favourite: Vote for ACT: Rodney needs something to do between reality TV gigs.
- We’re going to party like its still 1979
- action against Winston Peters backfired! but Rodney Hide still thinks he is right…YEAH RIGHT!
- Personal favourite (this was submitted as applying to all parties; the bad grammar just adds to its “message”) DON NOT VOTE IT JUST ENCOURAGES US TO LIE CHEAT AND STEAL YOUR MONEY
- Colour choices tells a lot. Green is always GO; Yellow caution; we can handle spilled red, but could call a Code Blue.
- Let us roger you with rodney.
- Rodney Hide and Roger Douglas – Digging up our past to force feed us our future…
- Hide-Hi? Ho-de-Ho!
- Yellow is the new green
- Act is the Key to the battle with Helengrad
- I can dance, I can dance, if you give me a chance.
- Vote for Rodney: ½ the violent criminals off the street ½ the tax ½ the leader he was ACT – Bringing us a healthier NZ.